Wednesday, April 1, 2009

Goi Muc - Calamari Salad

If there is one type of dish that I do over and over again, it has to be goi. Anytime I visit my parents I always prepare a fresh plate of goi for dinner. Goi is extremely easy to prepare and healthy for you. Once you get the hang of making it you pretty much try to turn everything into a goi, or at least that's the case for me. Happy cooking!



Ingredients:

10 small squid
1/2 yellow onion
1/2 red bell pepper
1 teaspoon of minced ginger
1 portion of cellophane noodle
1/4 tablespoon Vietnamese coriander
1 lime
sugar
vinegar
fish sauce
salt
fresh chillies
chili paste



Prepping:

1. Thinly slice the onions and bell pepper
2. Wash and then rough chop the rau ram
3. Soak the cellophane noodle in hot water until soften
4. Wash and clean out the squids. Cut squid into smaller pieces. Cook squid in boiling water for 5 minutes.
5. Marinade the onions and bell pepper with a dash of salt, 1 tablespoon of sugar, and 1/2 tablespoon of vinegar


Squid Marinade:

1/2 tablespoon of sugar
1 tablespoon of fish sauce
1 lime
1 sliced chili
2 teaspoon of chili paste
1 teaspoon of minced gingerCombine squid and marinade and toss together. Make sure you do it thoroughly or the squid will be bland.

Drain any excess liquid from the onions and bell pepper mixture. Drain any excess liquid from the cellophane noodle. Toss together the squid, onions, bell pepper, and cellophane noodle. Add additional lime, fish sauce, and chili paste to your liking.

Once you are satisfy with the taste, drain excess liquid. Add the rau ram and toss.

Enjoy!

3 comments:

xnikkix said...

I've been looking for good Vietnamese cooking blog and I'm happy to have found yours.

Keep up the great posts.

HungryAsAHippo said...

Yummy! I am craving some of this. Can you make me some without the bell peppers?

Rebel Bunny said...

OMG! i love this squid salad. im going to try it out soon. amzing!! I love your blog.