I make Bo Luc Lac, Shaking Beef, on a weekly basis. It's easy, quick, and healthy! Bo Luc Lac is pan seared marinaded beef cube over a bed of greens, usually watercress, with tomatoes and vinegary onions. Take a bite with a little bit of every ingredients and I guarantee you will have a taste buds explosion. The warmth of the flavorful beef, the crunchy and acidic onions, the bitterness of the watercress, and the refreshing tomatoes goes together so well. After eating this dish I always feel satisfy, happy, and refresh.
You can pretty much use any cut of meat but I always prefer a fattier cut such as rib-eye. If you don't have access to watercress, a bag of Dole's Spring Mixed will do just fine. I like to have a dipping sauce for the tomatoes and greens. I don't know if it's a Vietnamese thing but I grew up eating tomatoes dipped in salt like it's a fruit. Try this recipe for your next dinner party, it will be a hit for all your senses!
2 lb of rib-eye steak cubed (1/2 inch)
1/2 tablespoon of garlic minced
1/2 tablespoon of minced shallot
1 tablespoon brown sugar
2 tablespoon of oyster sauce
1 teaspoon of mushroom seasoning
2 large tomatoes
1 sweet onion
1 bunce of watercress
1. Marinade the beef with 2 tablespoon of oyster sauce, 2 teaspoon of mushroom seasoning, 1 tablespoon of brown sugar, minced garlic, and minced shallots. I like to marinade this the night before or early morning and it will be perfect for dinner time.
2. Thinly sliced the onion and place in a bowl. Add 1 tablespoon of sugar and 1/2 tablespoon of vinegar and let it sit.
3. Spread watercress on a plate, line the out with the tomatoes, and then the onion. You can decorate the plate however you like.
4. Now make a lime dipping sauce for the beef with 1 teaspoon of salt, 1/2 teaspoon of black pepper, 1/2 lime, 1 teaspoon of chili paste.
5. Heat up a wok/frying pan with cooking oil on med-high heat. Add the cubed beef and sear all side of the meat. If you like to your beef to be crispy on the outside, you need to cook them in smaller batch. If you cook them all at once the heat will not be hot enough to be crispy. I cook the beef as if I was make medium rare steak.
6. Pour cube beef on top of your plate of watercress, tomatoes, and onions. You can garnish cilantro on top.