One of my favorite dish I was introduced to in Da Nang was their Bun Cha Ca. It was the very first dish I ate when I first got off the plane. Their take on Bun Cha Ca was so delicious and light, and I love the sweetness from all the vegetables they use like cabbage and squash. This is my my quick take on this soup and it's Lent friendly. Enjoy!
1 lb of ground shrimp
1/2 cup of dried prawn (tom kho)
cha ca (fish cake)
1 cup of pineapple
1 cup of kabocha squash (optional)
1 cup of bamboo tips
2 cups of cabbage
2 roma tomato (quartered)
4 quart of water
2 shallots (minced)
1 tablespoon of salt
1 tablespoon sugar
1 tablespoon mushroom seasoning
1 teaspoon of paprika
1. Cook down the dried prawns in water to start the broth. Sauteed ground shrimp with 1 minced shallot and season with some fish sauce. Add ground shrimp to the broth. Add salt, sugar, and mushroom seasoning to the broth.
2. Sauteed the pineapple, tomato, and bamboo with some fish sauce. Add this mixture to the broth.
3. Add the cha ca and cabbage to the broth. Let everything cook thoroughly.
4. Sauteed remaining minced shallots in some oil, add the paprika and cook on low heat. Add this mixture to the broth for color.
5. Enjoy with some shrimp paste and chili!