Tuesday, September 30, 2014

Banh Trang Tron - Rice Paper Salad


Banh trang tron 'rice paper mix' is a street food that has won the hearts of children and teenager all over Vietnam.  I was first introduced to this popular street snack several years ago while I was in Saigon.  My cousin picked up a bag on his way home from class.  He walked in with a clear plastic bag dangling from his fingers with two skewers (used as chopstick) poking out from the bag.  I opened up the bag to examine what was inside; strips up rice paper, julienned green mango, shredded beef jerky, quail egg, roasted peanuts, and chopped Vietnamese coriander (rau ram).  It was such an unusual concoction but had all of my favorite components.  I'm always excited to try new food so I had no problem digging in.  While I very much enjoy the explosion of flavors, my mom thought it was 'nonsense' food.

Upon my first tasting of banh trang tron, I thought it tasted similar to padd Thai.  After a few more bites the flavor became more coherent; it was tangy and spicy similar to other Vietnamese goi but more salty and dry.  I can see why adults would be against this type of snack, it's not very nutritious.  But it's FUN food, something I like to make every now and then.  I hope you enjoy my interpretation of this popular street food!

Ingredients:
8-10 sheets of rice paper cut into 3 inch strips
1 cup of julienned green mango (adding more green mango will add more moisture to this salad)
1 cup of chopped rau ram
1/4 cup of dried proteins (shredded beef jerky, shredded squid, dehydrated field shrimp, or none)
quail egg (or 1 hard boil egg cut into 8 pieces)
2 tablespoon of cooking oil
3 tablespoon of minced green onion
shrimp salt 'muoi tom' ( or sea salt)
sugar
1 lime
maggi seasoning
chili oil
fried shallot
crushed peanuts
large bowl
plastic gloves

1.  Sauteed the green onions in the oil until fragrance.  If you are using tep kho (dehydrated field shrimp) add it to the oil and sauteed until fragrance.
2.  Add the rice paper strips to a large bowl and the add the hot oil with green onions and tep kho.  Use your gloves to mix as much of rice paper and oil together to help soften the rice paper.
3.  Season the rice paper with 1 lime, some shrimp salt (sea salt is a lot saltier so use it sparingly), a sprinkle of sugar, juice of 1 lime, hot chili oil, and a couple dash of maggi seasoning.  Mix well or it will get clumpy.  Make sure every portion of the rice paper is season thoroughly.
4.  Once you are satisfied with the seasoning add the green mango, shredded protein, quail egg, chopped rau rau, crush peanuts, and fried shallot.  Toss and mix so that all the components are evenly distributed.
5.  Enjoy!

14 comments:

Jimmy Dau said...

Fond memories of eating this in Hanoi. Yum

Tammi L. said...

wow i've never had this. must try!

Anonymous said...

Great recipe! Looks delicious! What restaurant have you had the best rice paper salad? Remember to add it to your Besty List! http://www.thebesty.com/ablogofsalt

Tài Phan said...

so delicious

cách bấm hợp âm

plasterer bristol said...

I love this dish, one of my favs. Thanks for posting this recipe.

Simon

Nancy @ www.imadethisdish.menu said...

Hi Thuy!
Món này Thúy làm trông ngon ghê! Sắp spring rồi, mình rất thích ăn món nào vừa nhẹ vừa mát. Cảm ơn Thúy đã share với cả nhà.

Scooter Tour Saigon said...

If you’re really feeling adventurous why not try our unique “Scooter Tour Saigon” while you sit on the back of a scooter with our expert drivers and eat at the best local street food stalls and discover hard-to-find gems that most tourists would miss? The Foodie tour on Saigon Street is the right choice for you!

seo said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Hindi Choti said...


Hindi sexy Kahaniya - हिन्दी सेक्सी कहानीयां

Chudai Kahaniya - चुदाई कहानियां

Hindi hot kahaniya - हिन्दी गरम कहानियां

Mast Kahaniya - मस्त कहानियाँ

Hindi Sex story - हिन्दी सेक्स कहानीयां


Nude Lady's Hot Photo, Nude Boobs And Open Pussy

Sexy Actress, Model (Bollywood, Hollywood)

Hwa Jurong said...

Good Day !!

I am Hwa Jurong, a Reputable, Legitimate & an accredited money
Lender. I want to use this medium to inform you that i render reliable beneficiary
assistance as I'll be glad to offer you a loan at 2% interest rate to
reliable individuals.

Services Rendered include:

*Home Improvement
*Inventor Loans
*Car Loans
*Debt Consolidation Loan
*Line of Credit
*Second Loan
*Business Loans
*Personal Loans
*International Loans.

Please write back if interested.
Upon Response, you'll be mailed a Loan application form to fill. (No social
security and no credit check, 100% Guaranteed!) I Look forward permitting me to
be of service to you. You can contact me via e-mail:hwajurong382@yahoo.com hwajurong12@gmail.com
Yours Sincerely,

Hwa Jurong(MD).

Van Long Tieu said...

Yummy. Wanna try make this dish this weekend.

Van Long Tieu said...

Yummy. Wanna try make this dish this weekend.

Best Ceramic Cookware said...

Dear THUY, Thank you for your excellent article on Banh trang tron 'rice paper mix'. By the way, I wish you could add video in your post but the images were awesome. Keep the great writing skill up. Thanks again for giving me a good resource. I love these recipes. It’s fast, easy and delicious. I really appreciate if you’ve added the nutrition facts. Waiting for your reply! You are invite in Best Ceramic Cookware

Ovalles Stephanie said...

I want to thank Julia Navaro for the loan given to me by her loan company NAVARO LOAN COMPANY. Needed a loan to start a my boutique and didn't know how to get a loan until I was introduce to NAVARO LOAN COMPANY by a friend online and she approved my loan of $300,000 with minimum income of $10 and now am a successful woman. If you need any type of loan from any country and of any amount at an interest rate of 2% contact Julia Navaro at
Navaroloancompany@yahoo.com and live a happy life.