Saturday, March 13, 2010
Wonton Soup before but this version is with egg noodle and the broth is slightly different. I really despise the pictures quality of the previous post so this give me a chance to redeem myself.
I am a huge fan of wonton noodle soup especially with roasted duck. Roasted duck is not exactly easy to make at home so I usually make Xa Xiu instead. There's something about adding BBQ meat to the broth, it take the flavor to another level. With that being said I think it's best to let the meat marinade in the xa xiu seasoning overnight. Enjoy this recipe and the pictures!
1 lb pork neck bones
1 large chunk of ginger
1 medium yellow onion
1 lb of shrimp (cut into smaller pieces)
a couple dash of salt
finely minced green onions
1 teaspoon of mushroom bouillon
2 teaspoon of oyster sauce
2teaspoon of sugar
1 package of egg noodle soup
1. Marinade pork in xa xiu seasoning over night.
2. Rinse and clean the pork bones with plenty of salt.
3. Pre-boil bones.
4. Add ginger and onion to broth. Season broth with 1/4 tablespoon of salt, a good chunk of rock sugar, and 1 tablespoon of mushroom seasoning. Let simmer for an hour.
5. Prepare the wonton filling by combining all the listed ingredients. Let the mixture sit in the fridge until ready so it will get a chance to stick together.
6. Pan fry the Xa Xiu. Let it cool down and then slice into thin pieces.
7. Boil egg noodle with water and a pinch of salt. Rinse with cold water and let it dry out a bit.
8. Season the broth with 1-2 tablespoon of fish sauce and a couple dash of black pepper. Add more sugar if needed.
9. Once the broth is ready, start preparing the wonton. Scoop a teaspoon of shrimp filling onto a wrapper and pinch the corners together with warm water.
10. Add wonton to broth to cook. I like to make each bowl of soup individually in a small saucepan. There is more heat to cook the wonton faster.
Pour hot broth and wonton over egg noodle. Add the xa xiu meat and garnish with some green onions. Enjoy!