Bun Bo Hue is a specialty noodle soup of the imperial capital of Central Vietnam, Hue. It consist of a rich broth with plenty of proteins, definitely a hearty meal. The unique broth is made by slowly simmering beef bones, pork bones, and pork feet; and then flavoring it with lemongrass, garlic, chillies, pineapple, shrimp paste, and even pork blood. In the end you get a savory, spicy, and tart taste. Each bowl of bun bo hue is a little different depending on the cook. Some like it mild, others like it spicy, still there are others that like it HOT! Not only is it delicious but also fun to eat! The noodle is bigger and slippery then most typical Vietnamese noodles so expect to do some slurping.
congealed blood cubes (optional)
lemon grass (8-10 stalks depending on size)
Minced 1 tablespoon of garlic
Minced 1 tablespoon of lemongrass
1. Pre-boil beef bones and beef shank in water with plenty of salt.
2. Rinse bones with cool water.
3. Cover bones with cold water in a large pot.
4. Let pot come to a boil. Add rock sugar, salt, and msg.
Let bones simmer on medium heat.
5. Char ginger roots and 1 medium onion. (Broil in oven)
Remove charred skin and add to pot.
6. Add 6-8 lemongrass stalk to pot.
7. Add fish sauce to your liking and let pot simmer for
8. Add about 2 tablespoon of shrimp paste to cold water
and stir. Let the mixture sit.
9. Sauteed minced garlic and lemongrass with anato seed
oil, add sugar and salt for taste. Set aside for later.
10. Sauteed garlic and sliced chilies in oil. Let cool and then
stir in chili powder to your liking. Set aside for later.
11. Remove beef shank when tender.
12. Go back to shrimp paste mixture. By now there should
a clear liquid on stop and the shrimp paste should have sank
to the bottom. Ladle only the clear liquid into the beef broth.
Add more water into the shrimp paste mixture and repeat
2 -3 more time. 13. Add lemon grass and chili powder mixture to broth.
Let broth simmer for another hour. 14. Squeeze pineapple juice into broth. 15. Add blood cube into broth.
16. Prepare onions and cilantro mixture. ENJOY!